Tips & ideas for using the mgmt software

Default actual time

Default actual time

Postby motley06 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:35 pm

So after spending some time on the phone with tech support, I was advised to request this feature again on the forum or ask if anyone had any work around options.

My complaint is the actual time on labor lines defaulting to match the labor time on the labor line. It doesn't seem like a big deal, but we're doing our best to track technician efficiency in our shop and we're using mobile manager to clock in and out. I'll give a scenario of what happens in our shop to better illustrate how this plays out.

A car comes in for an oil change. We pay the techs 0.6. The tech uses his tablet to clock in on the ticket and starts working on the car. He recommends the customer to have the air filter, cabin filter, and wiper blades replaced while he is doing the oil change. The customer approves the job, we add the labor lines, and we let the technicians know the customer approved the filters and wipers. At this point, the labor lines for the filters and wipers show that the technician already has 100% efficiency on those newly added lines and 100% actual time (remember, the software defaults to this). The tech goes ahead and replaces the filters and wipers while still clocked in on the oil change line, completes the ticket, and pulls it around front. Now he has clocked all his time on the oil change line, and Mitchell manager has arbitrarily assumed he clocked time on the labor lines that were added. What I end up getting is a report that shows a tech spent more time on a repair order than he actually did.

Now I know what most people are going to say. They will tell me to have my techs not do any work until they clock in on that labor line. Yes, that is an option, but I'm then asking my techs (who I am already hounding to produce more hours) to stop when they finish one thing on a car, clock out of that labor line, clock in on the ticket, pick the next labor line, and then do that work, and that work only. That only slows them down even more. On top of that, there are many times where they are working on two things at the same time (overlap). All of this could be avoided if the labor lines defaulted to 0. If it defaulted to 0, my tech could clock in on one line, completed the entire ticket, and his overall time would be correct for the RO.

I know I will also hear that some shops prefer it this way. My question would be, why? Why, if you like it to default to 100% would you care if it defaults to 0%. If you are using default times in the 'actual' column, you are clearly not tracking technician time. If you are leaving it at ANY default, you are not using it correctly. At least at 0, you could have a tech clock in on just 1 line and still get an accurate report for each RO. If it defaults to anything but 0, your reports are worthless. And if you're having a technician clock in on every line, you shouldn't care what it defaults to.

Thoughts, suggestions, ideas are welcome? At this point, the only thing I can think to do is to have my guys clock in and out on each and every line. It's just a bummer that our tickets typically start out with only 1 or 2 labor lines, then when we upsell work and add more labor lines, they have to clock out of the ticket and clock right back in to get times right.

Pleeeeaaase help! I've wanted accurate tech efficiency numbers for so long, I just didn't realize I'd be having to make my guys do it on EVERY. SINGLE. LABOR LINE.
motley06
200 Club: Major Contributor

Re: Default actual time

Postby ricmorin » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:10 pm

I'm sure you don't want to read this, but we clock in and out of each labor line. You sound like it's a big deal to do this. It is not. It takes literally 3 seconds to do this. I used to track all of this using a centrally located time clock. Believe me, the staff LOVES being able to do this with the tablet. Personally, I couldn't care less what those actual hours defaulted to because my tablet will be changing them.

Here's my suggestion. Clock off the oil change. This is why 'how the program behaves' bothers you. If you sell wipers, an air filter and a cabin filter, allow your techs to clock in on all three of them at once. Then once the order is done, check off all the boxes and the tablet will clock you out. It doesn't get much easier than this.

If I remember, there was a workaround that left that field blank. I hope I'm right and someone remembers.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434
https://www.facebook.com/motorcaralternatives

Reality continues to ruin my life.- Calvin
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Postby motley06 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:55 am

:) I figured that's what I would mostly hear. Ultimately, unless they change the program, I really don't have much of choice (other than just giving up on tracking technician time).

Hopefully someone knows the workaround about leaving it blank! That would fix my problem for sure!

Thanks Ric
motley06

Postby ricmorin » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:38 am

I'll try to figure the methodology that accomplishes that. We haven't had the need for it, but there is some combination of preceding events that'll do it I think.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434
https://www.facebook.com/motorcaralternatives

Reality continues to ruin my life.- Calvin
ricmorin

Return to Tips & Ideas