Discussion of migration from legacy 5.9 to SE 6.x

6.5 Questions After Updating From 5.9

6.5 Questions After Updating From 5.9

Postby gordonedwards » Thu May 01, 2014 12:19 pm

We just updated last night to 6.5 from 5.9. So far we really like it, but there are some issues I have questions about. Talked to support this morning and was told to list them on the forum. So, here they are...

1) In 6.5 - Parts & Labor icons are reversed in order on order screen and in tab when opening either or - just wondering why the change? Have spent all morning opening wrong one first, due to familiarity. Not a huge thing, but it does slow down productivity when completing tickets.

2) In 6.5 - Red flag on Status not showing red on W.I.P. - checked in set-up and it is checked "Yes" for Red Flag, but no red on W.I.P. We have always had everything Red flagged except completed or waiting to pick-up tickets.

3) In 5.9 - Ref.# & Hat# would both show up on Tech Worksheet. In 6.5 - only the Hat# shows on Tech Worksheet. We have always used Ref# for Wait customers or cars that have to be done by a certain time. We feel this is good for techs to know this information and have a reminder of that in front of them.

4) In 5.9 - Invoice would show a zero Labor Charge as n/c. In 6.5 - it now says 0.00 on zero charges for Labor. We have always thought the n/c - (no charge) looks better for the customer to see and is also more noticeable. The 0.00 looks like someone forgot to put in the dollar amount.

5) In 6.5 - Parts now have a Sale and Extended Price on Invoice and are not double-spaced. Seems to be squished together, more numbers to decipher and harder to read for customer.

6) In 6.5 - Totals line at bottom of Invoice has the Sublet and line switched from in 5.9, just wondering why(?).

Thanks for the opportunity to post and I look forward to hearing from others on the 6.5 update.

Gordon Edwards
gordonedwards
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Re: 6.5 questions after updating from 5.9

Postby Rich » Fri May 02, 2014 5:03 am

Welcome to the forums. I am sure some one will come along and address all of these. The one I MAY be able to help on is Number 2. Be sure that your user is not saying "default".
Rich Hays
Supporter of Project Semicolon
231-796-0550 work
http://share.garmin.com/RHAYS
Rich
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Postby gordonedwards » Fri May 02, 2014 5:36 am

Thanks Rich, but user is not on default.
gordonedwards

Postby Rich » Fri May 02, 2014 6:08 am

Did you set this up in Grid Line colors? I have not had any issues with this.
Rich Hays
Supporter of Project Semicolon
231-796-0550 work
http://share.garmin.com/RHAYS
Rich
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Postby gordonedwards » Fri May 02, 2014 7:39 am

Grid Line Colors do not have an individual selection for just the status box on W.I.P. screen. I have set up the Red Flag in Configurations - Standard Descriptions - Status tab, then click on whatever Status you want to Red Flag, each individual Status allows you to Red Flag with a Yes or No box. In 5.9 - The line color could be Blue for example for a Repair Order in the W.I.P. screen, but the Status box would be Red to stand out. 6.5 still allows you to choose Yes or No on Red Flag of each Status, but does not show up Red on W.I.P.
gordonedwards

Postby ricmorin » Fri May 02, 2014 8:01 am

I have confirmed this in 6.5.34.

redflag1.png
Clip from WIP

redflag2.png
Setting for Status

As above, the Status 'Waiting for Customer' should be red. It is not. Flagging for Location appears to function normally.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434
https://www.facebook.com/motorcaralternatives

Reality continues to ruin my life.- Calvin
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Postby gordonedwards » Fri May 02, 2014 10:47 am

We are currently at 6.5.20, tech support said we probably wouldn't update to 6.5.34 for at least a couple of days - so some of these issues may be addressed with the update. I've also noticed some of the features I have been reading about are not on ours, I'm sure the update will probably add those. And we really are enjoying 6.5 so far, but I have found a few more issues to discuss.

7) In 6.5 - Tech Worksheet does not have Customer Address. In Missouri we have State Inspections and the techs need the address to fill out their inspection slips for the Department of Revenue. I understand that every state does not have inspections, but I would guess there are a few who still do. 5.9 Tech Worksheet did have address on it.

8 ) In 6.5 - Labor & Parts Account Lines are not automatically filling in on some work orders. I have the Account Lines set up in Standard Tables - Account Classes - and all are set to be filled in. Did not have this issue in 5.9 when Account Classes were set. I have not yet figured out when they are not filling in automatically, but will keep hunting for a pattern. For now, just having to make sure they are filled in manually on each ticket. We always double-check this when closing a ticket, but have not been having to manually put it in.

9) In 6.5 - When printing Reports and some Invoices it will switch to another open tab, i.e., internet, e-mail account, etc, instead of just popping up immediately and when it does this it minimizes Mitchell & the Report or Invoice. Very annoying having to go back to Mitchell tab on the lower toolbar so many times. Configurations - Reports / Printers - are all set to report to screen, and the Reports Box as well.

We are running Windows 7 on all of our computers, could this possibly be a setting I need to change in Windows?

I also realize not everything will stay the same as 5.9 and that is ok with me, just trying to transition and help our staff here as well.
Thanks again for your responses.
I also have no idea how the emoticon got on to where #8) should be, oh well, not cool!
gordonedwards

Postby gordonedwards » Mon May 05, 2014 6:43 am

We are now updated to 6.5.34. Update process was very smooth and surprisingly quick! :D

Another issue I have found:

10) When Starting an Estimate in 6.5 - Vehicle Memo is not always at the top of work order. (We use ours for Oil Change Information, and yes they are marked to Print on Order) When using Quick Menu canned job first, it will appear at the top of work order. If writing in a new Labor Item first, it will come onto the order after the 1st item written. In 5.9 - It always appeared at the top of work order when starting a New Estimate.
I realize you can cut and paste to get it at the top, it's just very annoying to always have to do that, especially when you didn't have to before in 5.9.

Thanks again,
Gordon
gordonedwards

Postby timbre4 » Mon May 05, 2014 7:53 am

When you put an 8 next to a ) that produces the emoticon; when you leave a space between them [ 8 ) ], it is not seen as code.

Please keep the feedback coming; please understand that some behavior differences can be addressed while others may not be.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Postby gordonedwards » Mon May 05, 2014 9:40 am

I will keep it coming and do realize that not all can be changed. Just hoping some can!
gordonedwards

Postby Crescentbunny » Mon May 05, 2014 9:55 am

Number 9 is a known problem that was brought up in another thread awhile back so the tech team knows about it. Not sure where they are with it but at least they know :) This is a small annoyance to our shop as well.
Crescentbunny
100 Club: Active Contributor
100 Club: Active Contributor

Postby ARS » Mon May 05, 2014 12:47 pm

We do not have 6.5 yet.. We are on 6.4.612. But I totally agree that #9 is a huge annoyance to us as well.
Very interesting to hear the feedback on 6.5 by the way.
ARS
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor

Postby gordonedwards » Wed May 07, 2014 1:45 pm

Have found a couple more issues:

11) In 6.5 - Previous Mileage does not print on Estimate. It does appear on the Repair Order & Invoice, but not on a printed Estimate. In 5.9 - Previous Mileage did appear on printed Estimate.
We have used this at check-in - Customer comes in front office, office staff starts Estimate and then prints to hand with keys to a Service Adviser. Adviser goes to check vehicle in and then bring in shop or park in back of shop. Adviser checks V.I.N., license plate, need for oil change or services, etc. Previous Mileage gives them a heads up on a number of things. Granted it is in the computer, and on the printed Repair Order they print, but they are just used to it being on the Estimate they 1st receive to check in vehicle.

12) In 6.5 - When trying to Cut & Paste Memo to top of the Work Order (see #10), it will sometimes not allow you to Cut & Paste Memo. Have found when this happens, if you will go back to the W.I.P. Screen and then come back in to the Order, it will then allow the Cut & Paste. Just another small annoyance.
gordonedwards

Postby motley06 » Wed May 14, 2014 10:51 am

Crescentbunny wrote:Number 9 is a known problem that was brought up in another thread awhile back so the tech team knows about it. Not sure where they are with it but at least they know :) This is a small annoyance to our shop as well.

Glad I'm not the only one! Seriously, still no VIN scanning and apparently ongoing issues that aren't getting fixed... Hmmm, perhaps it's time to start shopping?
motley06
200 Club: Major Contributor

Postby timbre4 » Wed May 14, 2014 12:33 pm

Ongoing issues reported are being addressed. The issue has to be reproducible so that we identify cause and solution.

Please know that hundreds of fixes have been applied under the hood, most are not visible to users in the interface.
Tim McDonnell -
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Postby gordonedwards » Wed May 14, 2014 2:20 pm

I appreciate your efforts in addressing the issues. I have been very pleased with the response we have experienced so far.
gordonedwards

Postby motley06 » Thu May 22, 2014 11:21 am

timbre4 wrote:Ongoing issues reported are being addressed. The issue has to be reproducible so that we identify cause and solution.

Please know that hundreds of fixes have been applied under the hood, most are not visible to users in the interface.

If you are referring to Mitchell automatically minimizing when reports and invoices are loaded, you are more than welcome to remote access my terminal and see it duplicated EVERY TIME a report is run... every time... on every terminal... on every report... on windows 7 or 8
motley06

Postby timbre4 » Thu May 22, 2014 11:45 am

When we isolate the cause, it will be fixed.

I'm not doubting your experience. I run three different versions here under 3 different operating systems ( XP, WIN 7 & WIN 8 ) and it doesn't happen all the time.

I believe development will get to the bottom of this. Thanks for patience.
Tim McDonnell -
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Postby timsince » Fri May 23, 2014 11:19 am

I have the same thing happen, but it will only happen if another window is open, such as a web browser. If Manager is the only window open, then the report window will open on top of Manager, not minimized. It seems that the report window opens "behind" another window, or it seems to bring the other program to the "top". This happens every time a report is run whenever another program is open.
Tim
timsince

Postby timbre4 » Fri May 23, 2014 11:23 am

Thanks for the additional input. The potential interaction with other programs and/or browsers has proven to be a complicated matter.

PS - Great to meet you in Atlantic City. :)
Tim McDonnell -
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Next

Return to Upgrade Process