Discussion of migration from legacy 5.9 to SE 6.x

Active Splash Screen Removal?

Active Splash Screen Removal?

Postby Hardwood » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:36 pm

How do we get rid of the "Active Splash Screen" on top of our main screen? I.E. "What's new in this release" and "Shop Connection Blog"

It was cute for a day, but we want to get rid of it now that it's "Old News"

Thanks!
ASE Master Technician
Minnetonka Auto Service
2810 Hedberg Drive
Minnetonka, MN 55305
952-593-0586
http://www.MinnetonkaAutoService.com
Hardwood
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Re: Active Splash Screen Removal?

Postby timbre4 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:29 pm

There are no plans to change this, it took a long time to get it working. The Updater will be delivering changes every few weeks from now on and having this on the active splash page is the solution to "isn't there a list of changes of changes somewhere?" "I never get you emails", "where can I find it?' and all the other questions we get repeatedly.

Once you're operating the program, it's no longer visible. Keep it on WIP view. :idea:
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Postby Rich » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:13 am

Ok, what am I doing right? I only see these for a moment when I fire up the system, once I open the WIP it is gone and never seen again, at least until i reboot.
Rich Hays
Supporter of Project Semicolon
231-796-0550 work
Rich
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Postby timbre4 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:16 am

If you toggle the WIP button, these should be available anytime the splash home screen is displayed.
Tim McDonnell -
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Postby Hardwood » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:36 am

I appreciate the intention of letting us know there were changes, but once a "smart" person reads up on them, there is no further need to have that covering up my custom logo I created.

I don't like being told to "leave it on the WIP page."

When I walk away from any of my PC's, I leave it on the main screen so that my customers see a professional logo with a nice black background, not a couple of buttons that get used once or twice between releases. Who's idea was that? Certainly not a daily user.

So much for customization. Sigh.

I do like many of the other enhancements, but this splash button issue was a poorly planned idea. I think we are all smart enough to find the release notes if we really wanted to.

And no reply to why the VIN isn't being transfrerred to ProDemand? My mouse buttons are wearing out. LOL

Keep up the good work, but don't discount valid complaints. Work on them instead.
ASE Master Technician
Minnetonka Auto Service
2810 Hedberg Drive
Minnetonka, MN 55305
952-593-0586
Hardwood

Postby timbre4 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:56 am

Thanks for your input. Trust me, the volume of phone and email traffic indicate otherwise on users finding information. We are tasked with finding ways of making this easier.

Regarding the VIN passed from SE to ProDemand, it does; that was answered here last week: http://managerforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=178&t=10774
Tim McDonnell -
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Postby Rich » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:24 pm

I have seen a ton of posts asking for these buttons. Thus...here they are.

How about this? Get a nice looking back ground on your monitor, then instead of clicking backwards to the "splash screen" you could just minimize Mitchell all together. The back ground would then be visible to your customers. In times like now you could place a nice CHRISTmas photo or message. It would be very easy to customize to your likings. Mitchell would never be able to modify it on you. You are in 100% control of it. When you need M1 back up, click on the little tab at the bottom and bam your right on the WIP screen.
Rich Hays
Supporter of Project Semicolon
231-796-0550 work
Rich
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Postby Johnny5 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:44 pm

Hardwood wrote: I don't like being told to "leave it on the WIP page."

When I walk away from any of my PC's, I leave it on the main screen so that my customers see a professional logo with a nice black background, not a couple of buttons that get used once or twice between releases. Who's idea was that? Certainly not a daily user. So much for customization. Sigh.

The active splash screen was my idea. After speaking with many many shops over the past 18 years; it was apparent no mechanism was in place to make absolutely certain users could get a listing of changes, and perhaps additional instruction. Please be sure, no one is telling you to leave it on the WIP screen, it's merely a suggestion. If you delete the file 'index.html' found in C:\Program Files (x86)\M1-SK\Teamworks\Manager\Background , and replace either OnDemand.bmp or ShopKey.bmp with you logo file (named the same and also in BMP format), you can have it your way. Be advised, the next update will overwrite the files again, so make a backup of the logo file.

PS - Tech support cannot help replace this file, it is beyond their charter.

2014-12-02_12-43-45.gif

John Dwulet AKA: Johnny5
Sr. Product Marketing Manager - Mitchell1
Tuck in behind me, I'll show you where to crash. 8)
Johnny5
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Location: Mitchell 1 John Dwulet, Sr. Product Marketing Manager

Postby sbebenelli » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:48 pm

I realize everyone does things differently. The only time I see the splash screen is when I first start the program. Once I get started for the day it's always in the WIP screen.

I always thought the "what's new in this release" button was a good idea.
sbebenelli
500 Club: Champion Contributor
500 Club: Champion Contributor

Postby Hardwood » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:21 am

Capture.PNG
Shop Logo

Thanks, Johnny5 for your input.

I have been replacing the background.bmp each time there was a new release, so I'm familiar with how to do this in the past. It's no big deal as I found it was easy to do on all 5 PC's in my shop.

Thanks, too, for giving me the ability to go back to the "clean" look using your method.

I don't mind taking the time each release to do this. I am even thinking of writing a script to do it easier in the future.

As far as making those release note buttons part of the background image, why didn't you just add a button next to the "repair information" " or "social CRM" buttons?

I think adding features is always good. And this is why we are here discussing things.

In my world, all tech support calls are from people who have given up solving a problem on their own, and therefore the majority of tech support calls will only address limitations of the users, and not so much the software. You rarely here from satisfied customers, but make one angry and look out!

Have a happy new year all!

See attached "before" picture of my "home" screen"
ASE Master Technician
Minnetonka Auto Service
2810 Hedberg Drive
Minnetonka, MN 55305
952-593-0586
Hardwood

Postby Hardwood » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:25 am

And the clean look......

Such an easy fix, too!

Thanks again, Johnny5!
Attachments
Capture.PNG
The Clean Look

ASE Master Technician
Minnetonka Auto Service
2810 Hedberg Drive
Minnetonka, MN 55305
952-593-0586
Hardwood

Postby Johnny5 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:54 am

Hardwood wrote:And the clean look......

Such an easy fix, too!

Thanks again, Johnny5!

Do you use that nice logo on your invoice printouts?
Johnny5
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Postby Hardwood » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:15 am

Yes, I use that logo on all my invoices and estimates.

Which reminded me of another "anomaly":

Before this update, my logo would appear in the upper left corner of the invoice. My company info would CENTERED in the top middle, and the invoice number in the upper right.

Now, My logo is larger, which makes the company info become left justified. A quirk but something I would like to fix if possible.

And another issue is that all my estimates now print with the left and right sides cut off.

I call these "undocumented features" - which is a clever way of describing software "bugs".
ASE Master Technician
Minnetonka Auto Service
2810 Hedberg Drive
Minnetonka, MN 55305
952-593-0586
Hardwood

Postby Johnny5 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:35 am

Hardwood wrote:Yes, I use that logo on all my invoices and estimates.

Which reminded me of another "anomaly":

Before this update, my logo would appear in the upper left corner of the invoice. My company info would CENTERED in the top middle, and the invoice number in the upper right.

Now, My logo is larger, which makes the company info become left justified. A quirk but something I would like to fix if possible.

And another issue is that all my estimates now print with the left and right sides cut off.

I call these "undocumented features" - which is a clever way of describing software "bugs".

The issue with the left and right side being chopped off should be fixed. Exit Manager then Run this on each workstation: http://www.m1faqs.com/fix/SE/esthrs.exe

JD
Johnny5
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Postby Hardwood » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:05 am

Johnny5 wrote:
The issue with the left and right side being chopped off should be fixed. Exit Manager then Run this on each workstation: http://www.m1faqs.com/fix/SE/esthrs.exe

JD

How about the logo issue? Is there now a size limit to the logo size? What changed to create the non-centered look of my shop info at the top?

I know we're straying from the original post, but you've been very helpful and maybe these side-subjects can be posted elsewhere?
ASE Master Technician
Minnetonka Auto Service
2810 Hedberg Drive
Minnetonka, MN 55305
952-593-0586
Hardwood

Postby Johnny5 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:38 am

Hopefully pictures are worth a thousand words. Below is the development tool we use to create template report files used by the system; the example is our Invoice template. In Prior versions the shop name (@name), address, city, st zip, phones and slogan was centered. That looked fine until the user tried to stuff a logo in. As it turned out, the logo area from one template to another was not exactly uniform causing it to look good on one and bad on another. I re authored each report and set the logo area to be identical.

To complicate matters the shop info being centered caused a problem with long shop names, addresses and the like. We decided to left justify the shop info and make that the new standard. To be sure, before we did this we asked several users. I know that we as humans do not always like changes, but some changes are inevitable. This change was just natural evolution to the product. As you can see, there is also little room to work with after all the information needed is printed. (Trivia Note: each field name starting with a '@' is a unique formula - there are over 50 formulas in this one report.)
Attachments
inv.jpg

Johnny5
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Postby Hardwood » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:06 am

Totally understand.

I've been a user of this software for nearly 3 decades, and have seen all the evolution bringing us to this point.

I'm usually just silently using the software and just roll with the changes (Enter REO Speedwagon song here).....

I enjoyed the transition from Access databases to SQL. That really made a dramatic improvement to the overall capabilities of what you can do from a development standpoint.

Since I see a trend here referencing user input, I would like to be invited to the next brainstorming session you have regarding proposed changes/improvements.

But be careful, I'm also an Andoid phone user who simply loves the ability to configure my device(s) to suit my needs. Android gives me this, where Apple cannot.

Don't be an Apple. LOL.
ASE Master Technician
Minnetonka Auto Service
2810 Hedberg Drive
Minnetonka, MN 55305
952-593-0586
Hardwood

Postby Hardwood » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:12 am

Another report issue:

We like the Invoice template titled "INV with Hours/No Rev Data" but noticed that the part number is no longer appearing on the Invoices as it did before.

There is a choice for "INV with Hours/No Part Number/No Rev Data" under the reports/printers drop-down, but the two appear to print the same.

Thoughts?
ASE Master Technician
Minnetonka Auto Service
2810 Hedberg Drive
Minnetonka, MN 55305
952-593-0586
Hardwood

Postby Johnny5 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:03 pm

Hardwood wrote:Another report issue:

We like the Invoice template titled "INV with Hours/No Rev Data" but noticed that the part number is no longer appearing on the Invoices as it did before.

There is a choice for "INV with Hours/No Part Number/No Rev Data" under the reports/printers drop-down, but the two appear to print the same.

Thoughts?

Hmmmm. I found a small anomaly :) I will have it fixed in a near future version. In the meantime - check your private message

JD
Johnny5
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Return to Upgrade Process