Discussion of migration from legacy 5.9 to SE 6.x

SE Upgrade: Networking With Workstations

SE Upgrade: Networking With Workstations

Postby BGNOBERT » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:41 am

Probably going to upgrade soon to On Line Manager SE/Pro demand...etc..
However, just wondering if the "newtworking" of the workstations is done automatically once the host is up and running correctly with
database...etc.
Once I have my host up and running according to Mitchell Software (which we haven't ordered to switch over yet) then when we do each workstation with Manager SE will the "networking path" automatically be configured or will this require manual input for the network paths from a smarter IT guy than just installing CD's and doing what the screen says.
Or will Mitchell Tech support be able to tell us over the phone what network paths instructions are required to connect the workstations to the HOST. ?
Thanks for any input or experience on this issue.
BGNOBERT

Re: MANAGER SE UPGRADE NETWORKING WITH WORKSTATIONS

Postby ricmorin » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:37 pm

Manager SE is much easier to install compared to 5.9. Workstation installs will automatically find the host if the host is up and running on the same network. You install from the CD for the host and the workstations with SE, which differs from 5.9 where you installed workstations from the host and that created the network path.

So a simple non-domain controlled network is all you need, and a shiny new SE install disc.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434
https://www.facebook.com/motorcaralternatives

Reality continues to ruin my life.- Calvin
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: SE Upgrade: Networking With Workstations

Postby BGNOBERT » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:38 am

Another question on upgrade transition....
We are actually going to have NEW computers for this upgrade...so our database will obviously not already be on our hard drive.

So, I realize that I will have to use the BACKUP files to the HOST of our Database (from my flash drive, etc)
SO, is the file we need to use simply the SMCORE32.MDB? or the complete zipped folder titled BACKUP in the mdb folder?

Also, one last question, will I also need to use my flash drive of the database on the WORKSTATIONS ?
Or will the access the database from the HOST?( without needing to input the database on the workstations)
BGNOBERT

Postby ricmorin » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:50 am

We are actually going to have NEW computers for this upgrade...so our database will obviously not already be on our hard drive.

That's a tricky one. Since SE migration assumes a complete 5.9 setup, there are 2 ways to go. You could upgrade to SE on the existing computer then with the help of support, move the SE host to the new computer. Or you could do a 5.9 install on the new computer with the help of support, then migrate. I'm thinking the former would be better if your old computer is robust enough to accept SE. Hopefully someone smarter than me will back me up on this.

SO, is the file we need to use simply the SMCORE32.MDB? or the complete zipped folder titled BACKUP in the mdb folder?

It's more than just the mdb file. I wouldn't attempt this with support. This is a big change.

will I also need to use my flash drive of the database on the WORKSTATIONS ?
Or will the access the database from the HOST?( without needing to input the database on the workstations)

No. Once SE is on the host, the workstations look at the data files on the host. No databases live on the workstations.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434
https://www.facebook.com/motorcaralternatives

Reality continues to ruin my life.- Calvin
ricmorin

Postby timbre4 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:25 am

I believe that's correct, please also contact support in advance to see what they suggest.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Return to Upgrade Process