Discussion of migration from legacy 5.9 to SE 6.x

Update - Pricing Changes?

Update - Pricing Changes?

Postby Heidi5 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:28 am

Two Things that are creating havoc with the latest update.

1. The list price on a part automatically changes when I change the cost amount. I do not want this to change unless I change it.

2. Tech worksheets, why is every line printing the same info twice? Every job I add to a tech worksheet, it shows up twice. This created a huge waste of paper/ink on vehicles getting a lot of work.

Please help, Is there a way I can change these settings?
Heidi5

Re: Not happy with update changes

Postby brianp87 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:31 am

Heidi5 wrote:Two Things that are creating havoc with the latest update.

1. The list price on a part automatically changes when I change the cost amount. I do not want this to change unless I change it.

Are you not using a price matrix? There is always the user entered price box that can be checked if you wish.

2. Tech worksheets, why is every line printing the same info twice? Every job I add to a tech worksheet, it shows up twice. This created a huge waste of paper/ink on vehicles getting a lot of work..

Please help, Is there a way I can change these settings?

Do a search on this and you will find a quick fix
brianp87
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Postby Heidi5 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:04 am

Thank you, I somehow missed the tech worksheet fix. I just took care of that.

However, on my other issue.... even when I check the user entered box the list price still changes. If I gave a customer a price a month ago, I do not always want it to change, even if my cost has changed. When the price changes automatically I don't remember what I had originally quoted. Sure I can write it down or usually look back at revisions but now I am adding steps that I never had to do before. Sometimes our office is very busy/hectic with multiple customers waiting for their invoices and to add steps can create mistakes. Customer's do not like $$$$ mistakes
Heidi5

Postby ricmorin » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:17 am

Are you selling parts based on List? or Price?

priceorlist.png

Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434
https://www.facebook.com/motorcaralternatives

Reality continues to ruin my life.- Calvin
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Postby Silky7 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:43 am

Heidi5,

Please provide as much detail as possible. I know writing out step-by-step instructions can be a pain, so you can call in if you'd prefer. 888-724-6742. There are many different functions that can update cost/sale/list, so we need to know if you're ordering from catalogs, using inventory items, non-inventory, etc.

We look forward to working with you to address this issue for you.
Silky7
2nd Level Tech Support
2nd Level Tech Support

Postby Heidi5 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:05 am

I apologize, I'm not trying to be difficult, just set in my ways....

Before the update I would manually enter my cost for a set of brake pads, not from stock and manually enter the customers price. Now as soon as I start entering my cost a price for the customer is entered. So if I order parts for a previous estimate and it comes in $3 less (my cost) and I want to update that without changing what the customer pays. If I do not write down the dollar amount I forget what price the customer was given originally
Heidi5

Postby ricmorin » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:12 am

Before the update I would manually enter my cost for a set of brake pads,

Where do you get this cost from?

So if I order parts for a previous estimate and it comes in $3 less (my cost)

Are you using PO's? Are you using electronic catalogs?

If I do not write down the dollar amount I forget what price the customer was given originally

Are you using the Revision function? Are you making Estimates beforehand?
603-622-6434

ricmorin

Postby Silky7 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:50 am

You're not being difficult. :)

So you have a part that ultimately you order from a catalog. As Ric asked, are you set to List or Price for parts? Also, when you place the order for the parts (I'm assuming on the RO using Parts Ordering) which of the 3 options are you selecting?

pricingupdateprompt.png

The exact program flow is critical to understanding the point of failure.
Silky7
2nd Level Tech Support
2nd Level Tech Support

Postby Heidi5 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:38 am

Customer is in for an oil change, I tell her she will need front brakes at her next oil change. I go into revisions and make up an estimate by calling my local Carquest and get parts prices. Print estimate and send customer on her way. 3 months later she calls to schedule for said oil change and front brakes. I call Carquest and order the brakes, when they arrive the prices are not what I quoted. Usually not by a lot but still not what I quoted. I go to the revision and change my cost (Unit Cost) and the customer's price(Unit Price) changes automatically. Before the update customer price would not change unless I changed it. This happens in "Revision" and "Order"
Heidi5

Postby ricmorin » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:09 am

We still need to know what your settings are for how you sell parts. Is it from list or price as I've shown above? We would also like to know the version you are on. Is it 6.5.54?

I ran some tests on the behavior of the parts window. Changing the cost changes the price in the Unit Price and Unit Sale field but does not affect the List Price. Selecting the User Entered Sale checkbox locks the Unit Sale field so changing the cost has no effect on it. Without electronic catalog intervention, I see no changes in the List Price happening. This behavior seems the same as previous versions unless I'm missing something you are doing.

If you are selling from List Price then changing the cost has no effect. If you are selling from Price then select the User Entered Sale checkbox before making changes to your cost. That should keep your quotes correct.

partswindow.png

603-622-6434

ricmorin

Re: Update - Pricing Changes?

Postby Gary R » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:08 am

I have noticed this here. Our parts pricing is set to price. In 5.9, if you changed the unit cost, there would be no change to unit price until you hit the tab key to move to the next field, and then the unit price would be updated. In 6.5.54 as you change the unit cost, the price price updates simultaneously. If you are not making note of the unit price, it changes and you have lost that number. Then I have to re-enter the original cost to retrieve the original unit price. On the flip side of this change, 6.5.54 makes sure you maintain your profit margin on what you are selling. Not the worst idea!
Gary Radtke
Service Manager
Clavey Auto Service
http://www.claveyauto.com
Gary R
100 Club: Active Contributor
100 Club: Active Contributor

Re: Update - Pricing Changes?

Postby ricmorin » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:52 am

If you select user entered price, the change will not happen. If you forget, simply click cancel after entering the new cost and the part record will return to original settings, where you can now either click on user entered price or note the sell price.
603-622-6434

ricmorin

Return to Upgrade Process