Discussion of migration from legacy 5.9 to SE 6.x

6.5 on workstation?

6.5 on workstation?

Postby Sauvageaus » Tue May 12, 2015 12:19 pm

I had 6.4 Initially on my host and 1 workstation and the disc I have is a 6.4 disc. Well, I had got the 6.5.54 update file and updated the host and workstation a few months back.

Today I got a windows 8.1 tablet and installed the disc onto the tablet but it runs 6.4, so after I got it installed on there I was not able to use SE correctly being it was 6.4 and not 6.5.
I then tried to get the 6.5.54 update from mfile and it says its installed but when I open up SE it still says 6.5. Being I don't have a 6.5 disc is there any way to get 6.5 on there without a disc?
Sauvageaus
300 Club: Superstar Contributor

Re: 6.5 on workstation?

Postby ricmorin » Tue May 12, 2015 12:36 pm

You need the 6.5 install disc. I don't think you can go from 6.4 to 6.5 without it.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434
https://www.facebook.com/motorcaralternatives

Reality continues to ruin my life.- Calvin
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Postby Sauvageaus » Tue May 12, 2015 1:01 pm

ricmorin wrote:You need the 6.5 install disc. I don't think you can go from 6.4 to 6.5 without it.

hmmm wonder why we've never received the 6.5 disc and why the 6.5.54 update worked on the host and other work station before?
Sauvageaus

Postby timbre4 » Tue May 12, 2015 1:07 pm

SE 6.5 disc had to be run to become update server aware.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Postby Sauvageaus » Tue May 19, 2015 9:06 am

timbre4 wrote:SE 6.5 disc had to be run to become update server aware.

Do you know how they send the disc via USPS? Fedex? UPS? and approximately how long it takes to receive a disc, it's been a week now, would of thought we would of seen it by now.
Sauvageaus

Postby ricmorin » Tue May 19, 2015 9:29 am

They typically ship UPS. I usually get a Quantumview notice via email that allows me to track shipment.
603-622-6434

ricmorin

Postby Sauvageaus » Tue May 19, 2015 1:38 pm

ricmorin wrote:They typically ship UPS. I usually get a Quantumview notice via email that allows me to track shipment.

well it just came in, now I can get it up and running on the new tablet!
Sauvageaus

Postby Sauvageaus » Wed May 20, 2015 5:42 am

everything worked out perfect.

Now if I take this tablet/laptop home and do any work on it being its a workstation and then bring back the next day will it update everything i did to the host computer or will i have to back up the work and load the host from the backup?
Sauvageaus

Postby Silky7 » Wed May 20, 2015 6:15 am

A workstation when not connected to the network (off-site) cannot see the database, and therefore will not be usable at home. If you really want to access the software from home, use a remote access application like LogMeIn or TeamViewer to connect back to your host machine.
Silky7
2nd Level Tech Support
2nd Level Tech Support

Postby Sauvageaus » Wed May 20, 2015 6:22 am

Silky7 wrote:A workstation when not connected to the network (off-site) cannot see the database, and therefore will not be usable at home. If you really want to access the software from home, use a remote access application like LogMeIn or TeamViewer to connect back to your host machine.

Yup, I've got teamviewer and have done that in the past, was just curious if I could do changes at home.

I was at home with it last night and saw all the updated information, but was wondering if i wrote up a estimate, then backed that up to the flash drive and then when loading the host computer the next day off of the backup if it would take all that information?
Sauvageaus

Postby Silky7 » Wed May 20, 2015 8:17 am

As long as you're remotely connected to the host at the shop, it's just like you were making your changes on it as if standing in front of it. The backup made on the host would be fine.
Silky7
2nd Level Tech Support
2nd Level Tech Support

Postby Sauvageaus » Wed May 20, 2015 9:55 am

Silky7 wrote:As long as you're remotely connected to the host at the shop, it's just like you were making your changes on it as if standing in front of it. The backup made on the host would be fine.

but if I am not on the network and at home, made a few changes and then back up on the workstation to the flash drive after making changes. Next morning when I get back to the shop and on the network, but put the flash drive into the host computer, would it work if i load Mitchell off the backup I did with the changes that were made away from the network/host?

hope that makes sense. Basically take the tablet home instead of the host (desktop) make changes on tablet (workstation) back up the changes to the flash drive. Next day load the flash drive onto the host computer and load Mitchell from the backup file, then it should have the changes i had made onto the host computer?
Sauvageaus

Postby ricmorin » Wed May 20, 2015 10:17 am

No.

Manager will not even run unless you are on the network with the host. It won't even open. Can't open, can't make changes, can't back up. NOTHING.

Manager does not support virtual networks. You need to remotely log in to a computer at the shop that has Manager on it to work from home. You can log in remotely with your tablet, but you'll be using a computer remotely at your shop. You won't be using Manager that is installed on your tablet. You will be using a computer at your shop that has Manager on it, remotely.
603-622-6434

ricmorin

Postby Sauvageaus » Wed May 20, 2015 1:59 pm

ricmorin wrote:No.

Manager will not even run unless you are on the network with the host. It won't even open. Can't open, can't make changes, can't back up. NOTHING.

Manager does not support virtual networks. You need to remotely log in to a computer at the shop that has Manager on it to work from home. You can log in remotely with your tablet, but you'll be using a computer remotely at your shop. You won't be using Manager that is installed on your tablet. You will be using a computer at your shop that has Manager on it, remotely.

Well It worked for me and I was able to do any estimate, I'll try it again tonight to make sure but pretty sure I was able to.
Sauvageaus

Postby Sauvageaus » Wed May 20, 2015 5:12 pm

Alright trying from home and it doesn't work this time, not sure what I did in the past, but I've had it working from home before.

Sorry bout the troubles.
Sauvageaus

Postby Silky7 » Thu May 21, 2015 7:41 am

Not a problem. It really is the easiest and safest thing to just remote access the computer in the shop.
Silky7
2nd Level Tech Support
2nd Level Tech Support

Return to Upgrade Process