Discussion of migration from legacy 5.9 to SE 6.x

6.4 Up and Running - Migrated Database Question

6.4 Up and Running - Migrated Database Question

Postby kbbrett » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:30 am

I finally got time to upgrade from 5.9 to 6.4 last week. We had a new host machine with Windows 8, so 5.9 wasn't going to work for us anymore. I got the 6.4 software installed on the new host machine, copied the database over from our old host machine and got it migrated into 6.4. Everything is working fine and we are enjoying some of the new features of 6.4 on all of our workstations!

I do have a question regarding some of the data that migrated over from the 5.9 database. We have 6,000+ "estimates" showing up on our WIP list that are not actually estimates at all, but are old (2008 and previous), completed, paid invoices. I have no idea why they migrated as estimates, but I would like to post them all as invoices, rather than just "hiding" the estimates on the WIP screen. The data is all there and I don't want to just purge the "estimates" because I don't want to lose those items from our customer's histories. Maybe there isn't a simple way to do this, but I figured asking here would be a good place to start.

Thanks in advance for the help!!

-Paul

P.S. One thought I had was that possibly these "estimates" are what was imported from Service Center into 5.9 when we switched from AllData, but they were not saved in 5.9 as estimates, so why would they import to 6.4 as estimates?
kbbrett

Re: 6.4 Up and Running - Migrated Database Question

Postby ricmorin » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:55 am

Sounds like the migration didn't go so well. I'd get supports help on this one. It's outside the scope of this forum.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434
https://www.facebook.com/motorcaralternatives

Reality continues to ruin my life.- Calvin
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Postby kbbrett » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:44 pm

Yeah, I kind of figured as much. Now I have to find time during the day sometime to call support, good luck with that, LOL! I have verified that the "estimates" are all entries that were imported into 5.9 from AllData Service Center when we switched to Mitchell. All the entries that were actually created in Manager 5.9 migrated properly.
kbbrett

Postby ricmorin » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:00 pm

Ah, yes. So there was something unique to those entries that originally came from Alldata and the new migration process erroneously saw them as Estimates. Yikes! I hope they can batch those...hate to have to do them manually.

The good news is you know what they are and it won't stop you from making money today. Let us know the outcome.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434
https://www.facebook.com/motorcaralternatives

Reality continues to ruin my life.- Calvin
ricmorin

Postby kbbrett » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:32 am

Yeah, it could definitely be a worse problem! I'll keep you posted, things are crazy here, so I don't know exactly when I will have a chance to get ahold of support, but I will be sure to post the results once I get a chance to chat with them!!

-Paul
kbbrett

Postby timbre4 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:16 am

You may contact support via phone or better yet by email to avoid the hold time.

Use this form: http://www.buymitchell1.com/form/techsupport.htm
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Postby kbbrett » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:43 am

Thanks very much Tim!
kbbrett

Postby kbbrett » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:47 pm

Well I FINALLY got a chance to call tech support on this issue (as well as our DPR not showing a successful backup since the 6.4 upgrade). I had emailed support prior to my call and they thought the "transporter" folks would be able to help me with the database problem. Both Scott in tech support and Mitchell the "transporter" man were great to deal with, very helpful, and took care of my problems in less than one hour! Everything seems to be 100% now, assuming I see a successful backup showing in my DPR manager tomorrow morning.

Just wanted to let everyone know that the database issue is all taken care of, and send a thanks to the tech support guys, I really appreciate it!!

-Paul
kbbrett

Postby timbre4 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:24 pm

Lovely to read this! Thanks for letting us know the outcome.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Return to Upgrade Process