Manager SE Settings, Defaults, Database

How Do I Merge Customers/Vehicle History?

How Do I Merge Customers/Vehicle History?

Postby acofgb » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:26 am

I have several instances like this. A boyfriend and girlfriend both come to me for service for years, then they get married. I changed the last name and just continued to write invoices for each person, but now I would like to merge the two customers. Is there an easy way to do this? I have changed ownership of vehicles from person A to person B, but then I want to delete B from my system. When I pull up B, there are no vehicles, but there is a long list of history that I need to change over to A. It seems to me that I remember in the past a pop-up asking me if I want to move all the history from A to B when I would change ownership, but that option did not happen this time. I hope this is all makes sense to you and that there is a way to transfer the history. This also applies in reverse a few years later when they get divorced :wink:
acofgb

Re: How Do I Merge Customers/Vehicle History?

Postby brianp87 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:18 am

If you change ownership of the vehicles to be together then all the history should be combined at that point.
brianp87
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Re: How Do I Merge Customers/Vehicle History?

Postby timbre4 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:32 am

The Change Ownership function only works one way; transferring vehicle record # to now belong to a DIFFERENT customer #. The service history (invoices) remain with that vehicle always.

If you lookup history by current customer, you will only see invoices created under the NEW ownership. SMITH
If you lookup history by former customer, you will only see invoices created under the OLD ownership. JONES
If you lookup history by vehicle, you will see ALL invoices regardless of ownership (both customer names SMITH, JONES display alongside their respective invoices)

If you have the "vehicle record" under a different name and find the actual history invoices elsewhere, that sounds like an existing vehicle record was overwritten or a new vehicle record created without using the Transfer Ownership function. The Transfer Ownership function can be used to put it under the correct name and then you can reconcile which vehicle is correct. Probably easier to keep the original vehicle than it is to un-post multiple invoices and change the vehicle record to a new one on each one of the invoices and then repost them.

A totally revamped Transfer Ownership feature will be delivered with Manager SE 7.2 in a few weeks.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Return to Database / Settings