Registered Forum Members Can Vote! Forum members respond to business & software questions

The sample 'Welcome email' is

1) Just about right in detail level
6
43%
2) Too much detail for most shops
8
57%
3) Needs more detail (see below)
0
No votes
 
Total votes : 14

POLL: Forum 'Welcome Email' Concept

POLL: Forum 'Welcome Email' Concept

Postby timbre4 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:02 am

Another project I'm working on is checking in with newly registered forum members who have nothing in Last Activity field. The forum software is not currently sending anything other than the confirmation email with activation link; I'm going to see what's possible in automating the message. Prior to that, I'm going to generate some of these manually to measure response in case we have to buy something to accomplish this.

Below is a sample welcome message; please review and comment on how well this could do the job of a) welcoming and b) informing. Thanks.


Hello,

I see that you're new to the shop management user's forum and wanted to be sure you knew that you had access to all topics. If you need should any password or login assistance, just let us know and we'll get it going for you.

Forum rules, tools and instructions are found here: viewforum.php?f=5

The rest of the forum is fairly simple in terms of navigation, browsing, posting or replying to existing posts. Here's a link to Quick Answers about using the forum:

Many popular questions have been converted to Quick Answers to provide self-serve assistance right away; These may be browsed or searched and are organized by category such as 'shop management':

If you're interesting in posting a vehicle repair question in one of our WRENCH sections, please review the instructions found here first: http://www.managerforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6293

Our forum regulars use the CLUBHOUSE to share news and socialize, you're welcome to drop by and introduce yourself. It's found here:
http://www.managerforum.net/viewforum.php?f=37

If you or anyone at your shop are looking for more training on the shop management program, take a look at the PerformanceCenter modules and quizzes that are available 24/7 with your internet access. These narrated modules help users go far beyond the basics to get more daily value out of the software investment. Twelve 30 minute segments and six quizzes are provided for potential Certification on the management software. Take a look here: http://performancecenter.mitchell1.com/ ... videos.asp

We look forward to seeing you on the forum soon!

Thanks for joining, Tim
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
User avatar
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator
 
Posts: 4514
Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 5:47 pm
Location: TN - Volunteer State

Re: Forum 'Welcome Email' Concept

Postby Gary R » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:07 am

If you need should any password or login assistance, just let us know and we'll get it going for you.

I assume that you mean If you should need any password...

Gary
Gary Radtke
Service Manager
Clavey Auto Service
http://www.claveyauto.com
User avatar
Gary R
100 Club: Active Contributor
100 Club: Active Contributor
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:57 pm
Location: Glenview, Illinois

Re: Forum 'Welcome Email' Concept

Postby timbre4 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:09 am

Usually password but sometimes they've already forgotten what the username was. My phrasing was intended to address "even if all this is foreign to ya, we'll help you get started".

EDIT: Needs to address the WRENCH Repair requirements to get off on the right foot; I'll add that now.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
User avatar
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator
 
Posts: 4514
Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 5:47 pm
Location: TN - Volunteer State

Re: Forum 'Welcome Email' Concept

Postby Gary R » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:43 am

I only meant that the words should and need are reversed.

Gary
Gary Radtke
Service Manager
Clavey Auto Service
http://www.claveyauto.com
User avatar
Gary R
100 Club: Active Contributor
100 Club: Active Contributor
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:57 pm
Location: Glenview, Illinois

Re: Forum 'Welcome Email' Concept

Postby fortknoxx » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:22 am

too long for me. i lost intrest mid way. i know what you are trying to do, and i applaud it. at least for me, i attention span is ok, till a bright color or shiny thing goes by. from a new prospects p.o.v. tis a lil long.

from a forum regulars p.o.v. it addresses many gripes we have.
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)
Camper Bob's

609-760-7079 Cell
User avatar
fortknoxx
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
 
Posts: 1995
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:09 am
Location: High Point, NC

Re: Forum 'Welcome Email' Concept

Postby timbre4 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:26 am

Gary R wrote:I only meant that the words should and need are reversed.
Gary


Aha! You saw it before I did (not uncommon). Thanks
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
User avatar
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator
 
Posts: 4514
Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 5:47 pm
Location: TN - Volunteer State

Re: Forum 'Welcome Email' Concept

Postby timbre4 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:28 am

Thanks Tina, that's exactly what I was afraid of.

But I can always trim it down if it indeed covers the bases...
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
User avatar
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator
 
Posts: 4514
Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 5:47 pm
Location: TN - Volunteer State

Re: Forum 'Welcome Email' Concept

Postby Pauls Automotive » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:54 am

I have to agree with Tina. I know whenever I get email from places wanting/advertising something if it is too long or there are a ton of links, I bail.
Paul
Pauls Automotive
6320 Falls Road
Baltimore, Md 21209
410-825-2224
paul@paulsauto.com
TRUE HAPPINESS IS WITHIN YOU
User avatar
Pauls Automotive
1000 Club: Interstellar
1000 Club: Interstellar
 
Posts: 1324
Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 6:32 am
Location: Baltimore Maryland

Re: Forum 'Welcome Email' Concept

Postby ricmorin » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:15 pm

You might get around the 'kinda long' issue by incorporating some nice html. Block some stuff in and place a few nice pics. Might be enough to keep the interest long enough to get the whole message.

Or.....

If you can automate a couple of emails, break it up into two.

Great idea though.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434
https://www.facebook.com/motorcaralternatives

Reality continues to ruin my life.- Calvin
User avatar
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
 
Posts: 5272
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:11 am
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Forum 'Welcome Email' Concept

Postby timbre4 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:38 pm

Thanks. I'm reluctant to add graphics for security warning (click to display, etc) to scare off potential members. Even putting URL links in the message may be enough to send it into a spam folder if not there already.

I may have to drop the links and just briefly mention the assets...
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
User avatar
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator
 
Posts: 4514
Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 5:47 pm
Location: TN - Volunteer State

Re: Forum 'Welcome Email' Concept

Postby Pauls Automotive » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:51 am

timbre4 wrote:Thanks. I'm reluctant to add graphics for security warning (click to display, etc) to scare off potential members. Even putting URL links in the message may be enough to send it into a spam folder if not there already.

I may have to drop the links and just briefly mention the assets...


Just my two cents but I know if I get an email from an organization that I know first hand and there isn't a lot of links & etc. I don't feel right away someone is trying to sell me something and I'm a little more at ease. I think a nice letter with maybe a quote or two from the forum as an example with an invitation to come by and see what there is to see and join in on the discussions.....everyone likes to feel included and their opinion matters. Some just like to help others. Some just want to learn more but are afraid to show they don't have all the answers. Just let them know we are all here as a community of like minded friends. Just extend the olive branch.....it's in their hands after that.
Paul
Pauls Automotive
6320 Falls Road
Baltimore, Md 21209
410-825-2224
paul@paulsauto.com
TRUE HAPPINESS IS WITHIN YOU
User avatar
Pauls Automotive
1000 Club: Interstellar
1000 Club: Interstellar
 
Posts: 1324
Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 6:32 am
Location: Baltimore Maryland

Re: Forum 'Welcome Email' Concept

Postby fortknoxx » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:17 am

sumpin like,
Thank you for registering with the m1 forum..... Take a minute to browse our quick answers or search, you will probably find your question has been answered even before you ask.
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)
Camper Bob's

609-760-7079 Cell
User avatar
fortknoxx
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
 
Posts: 1995
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:09 am
Location: High Point, NC

Re: Forum 'Welcome Email' Concept

Postby steven kiser » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:03 am

it's a crap shoot. what one person needs to be enticed is a splash in the water to others. what about a simple prompt when the operation system is opened akin to something along the likes of a scrolling parts list of pictures while checking out from e bay or something along those lines. i'll on occasion see something in the scrolling pictures that catches my eye and makes me reopen. i feel that getting people to open the forum is the easy part. making them productive is the toughest. i just happened to be messing around in one of my "what's this do" modes and clicked on the up link. no bands or banners. done it a million times. it was what i found inside that made me look around and stay. conformability was the biggest. it's kind of like fishing. i'll be pond side and have plenty of hits and nibbles with nothing hooked. there is always the "new guy" i run into that has all the ways to catch fish. i'll sit and listen to them tell me how to fish and catch. i'll ask what makes you think i can't fish. i've been told that they haven't seen me catch any fish in the time they've landed 10 or 20. it usually ends up that the amount of bait i use is the culprit. i'll bait my hook with bait balls about the size of a regular size marble. my new "expert" fishing buddy will try to convince me that if i lessen the size i'll catch fish and catch as much as he does. one of the other guys will eventually tell the new guy that he's preaching to the "master" and tells me to show him a few of my state pins. the guy looks a bit confused and i'll explain that i decided a long time ago to stop trying for the most and apply myself to the best. the bait ball is so big that the only fish that can get it down has to be pretty good sized. i usually catch 2.5 to 3lb trout. it's the catch. i can buy fish at the store, i can't use a bait caster at the deli. a forum anywhere will have the fly throughs. a good one has the fly ins. a think basically what i'm trying to point out is the absolute fact that the people that enter and remain may be limited and slowly expanding but that's not bad. the bait is right you just got to know what you're fishing for and just the right way to wiggle the line in the presentation. this forum from what i can see is the most balanced to "catch the keepers" the success isn't the strike or nibble, it's the knowledge of the using a bait and amount to attract the specific target fish and the ability to know when to set the hook. in the forum i've never seen the need for the "set". the prize fish of the pond willingly swim to the "forum". all the best are here, the managers and contributors of this forum are collecting all the state pins.leave it that way. the pond cultures the fish, i feel a completely different way than i did when i started. i came in with an iatn basic philosophy but not as aggressive as that forum. i love it, i guess what i'm saying is the bait is correct, the presentation is perfect, all the outside conditions couldn't be better. let the people take the bait, using a broadcast net will only muddy the pond and in a way force you to deal with what you've caught not because you want to but because you have to. you understand me and a bit of my philosophical bantering, know what to say and how to tell me i'm an idiot and i'll accept it because of the relationship we have. can't beat that. all i'm asking is to maintain you high level of standards and the bottom board at the spillway high off the bottom so the bottom feeders can't get into our pond and crap it all up. on occasion i feel that during a big push for contributing members the restrictions are loosened. ya, ya, i know today i'm leaning left, tomorrow i'll be leaning another.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
User avatar
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:58 am
Location: eastern ma.

Re: Forum 'Welcome Email' Concept

Postby timbre4 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:22 am

Thanks for all the input. It needs to be simple and not burdened by the transfer of TMI (too much information).

As much as I enjoy working on the forum, the goal is always to enlarge on what we have. If there are nearly 19,000 active shop mgmt software subscriptions and we have less than 1,000 ACTIVE members, it tells me a) we're still just scratching the surface? b) many users are satisfied? c) the ones with the weakest skillset call tech support the most may not cope well here? This is a strong support venture to support all of our product users so I have to find out more.

As is true in just about any venture, the ones who need it the most are the hardest to get involved. Looking through old accounts and posts, there are a good number that had a SINGLE question; asked it, got replies, maybe said thanks.

I see accounts where members have "lurked" (not posted) for 1-5 years, because that's their style. They must like what they see but don't feel compelled to add anything. I want to know what they're thinking too.

During any campaign, the forum rules and standards remain the same. Anyone not keeping up their part of the bargain will have their parents called to pick them up and take them home. :idea:
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
User avatar
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator
 
Posts: 4514
Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 5:47 pm
Location: TN - Volunteer State

Re: Forum 'Welcome Email' Concept

Postby John C. » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:12 am

steven kiser wrote:it's a crap shoot. what one person needs to be enticed is a splash in the water to others. what about a simple prompt when the operation system is opened akin to something along the likes of a scrolling parts list of pictures while checking out from e bay or something along those lines. i'll on occasion see something in the scrolling pictures that catches my eye and makes me reopen. i feel that getting people to open the forum is the easy part. making them productive is the toughest. i just happened to be messing around in one of my "what's this do" modes and clicked on the up link. no bands or banners. done it a million times. it was what i found inside that made me look around and stay. conformability was the biggest. it's kind of like fishing. i'll be pond side and have plenty of hits and nibbles with nothing hooked. there is always the "new guy" i run into that has all the ways to catch fish. i'll sit and listen to them tell me how to fish and catch. i'll ask what makes you think i can't fish. i've been told that they haven't seen me catch any fish in the time they've landed 10 or 20. it usually ends up that the amount of bait i use is the culprit. i'll bait my hook with bait balls about the size of a regular size marble. my new "expert" fishing buddy will try to convince me that if i lessen the size i'll catch fish and catch as much as he does. one of the other guys will eventually tell the new guy that he's preaching to the "master" and tells me to show him a few of my state pins. the guy looks a bit confused and i'll explain that i decided a long time ago to stop trying for the most and apply myself to the best. the bait ball is so big that the only fish that can get it down has to be pretty good sized. i usually catch 2.5 to 3lb trout. it's the catch. i can buy fish at the store, i can't use a bait caster at the deli. a forum anywhere will have the fly throughs. a good one has the fly ins. a think basically what i'm trying to point out is the absolute fact that the people that enter and remain may be limited and slowly expanding but that's not bad. the bait is right you just got to know what you're fishing for and just the right way to wiggle the line in the presentation. this forum from what i can see is the most balanced to "catch the keepers" the success isn't the strike or nibble, it's the knowledge of the using a bait and amount to attract the specific target fish and the ability to know when to set the hook. in the forum i've never seen the need for the "set". the prize fish of the pond willingly swim to the "forum". all the best are here, the managers and contributors of this forum are collecting all the state pins.leave it that way. the pond cultures the fish, i feel a completely different way than i did when i started. i came in with an iatn basic philosophy but not as aggressive as that forum. i love it, i guess what i'm saying is the bait is correct, the presentation is perfect, all the outside conditions couldn't be better. let the people take the bait, using a broadcast net will only muddy the pond and in a way force you to deal with what you've caught not because you want to but because you have to. you understand me and a bit of my philosophical bantering, know what to say and how to tell me i'm an idiot and i'll accept it because of the relationship we have. can't beat that. all i'm asking is to maintain you high level of standards and the bottom board at the spillway high off the bottom so the bottom feeders can't get into our pond and crap it all up. on occasion i feel that during a big push for contributing members the restrictions are loosened. ya, ya, i know today i'm leaning left, tomorrow i'll be leaning another.


Perfect example of TMI, I bailed after "It's". :mrgreen:

Kidding Steve, please don't put me on your "list"...oops too late, I'm already on it. :wink:
John C.
User avatar
John C.
500 Club: Champion Contributor
500 Club: Champion Contributor
 
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:24 am
Location: Massatwoschits

Re: Forum 'Welcome Email' Concept

Postby steven kiser » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:58 am

i agree completely. if i were to read ( mmmm can't say read, have to say see) that staring at me i would just delete. how do you entice. a perfect old time garage example would be the old calendars, clocks, mugs, etc with scantily clothed women on them. the amount of clothing would attract admirers to wonder what it would look like with less. i'm more inclined to pay more attention to scantily than completely. speaking for myself i'm not saying that if pam anderson, and a long list of others were posing nude i wouldn't stop and stare but there wouldn't be anything to imagine and in these instances my imagination can, and will make it lots more interisting. all i can think of now is the scene from animal house with bluto a ladder and the girls frat house. i'm not saying i want to see tim and the rest of the gang hanging from a stripper pole in provocative positions scantily clothed. i can't speak for the ladies or other "team" players that may be forum members. i can imagine Angies reply though. as a mechanic, and a member of a great business community, i think that for the most part, male or female, we like tools, fast cars, harleys, extreme sports, etc. i used harley because it's best known to me. there are bike enthusiasts out there that have forgotten more that i would ever hope to know about "bikes". personally i can't really think of anything that would entice. i will state emphatically for what ever reason when i was contacted for inappropriate comments and suspended for a short time after i got over the initial slap it just strengthened my feelings and contributions to this forum. tell me i shouldn't and i think, tell me i can't and i will, tell people that when they apply for membership it's a long shot because less than 3% are chosen. if i saw it this way on my screen i would have attacked the challenge just to be able to think and feel i'm one of the 3%, in a good way. i've been a member of the % family since i can or dare to remember. i'm a member of the low % group. dr's speak of me at meetings, as do law enforcement members etc........................................
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
User avatar
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:58 am
Location: eastern ma.

Re: POLL: Forum 'Welcome Email' Concept

Postby timbre4 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:12 pm

VERSION TWO:

Hello,

I see that you're new to the shop management user's forum and wanted to be sure you knew that you had access to all topics. If you should need any password or login assistance, just let us know and we'll get that going for you.

The forum is very simple to use.

Many popular questions have been converted to Quick Answers to provide self-serve assistance right away. You'll find that many have already been asked and answered. Plenty more training tools, just ask or look around.

If you're looking to post a vehicle repair question in one of our WRENCH sections, be ready for replies often within minutes. Tou'll get an automatic email each time someone responds to your question.

If you have any questions about any of this, you can always email me at forumadmin@buymitchell1.com.

Thanks again for joining, we look forward to seeing you on the forum soon!

The Shop Management User's Forum
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
User avatar
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator
 
Posts: 4514
Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 5:47 pm
Location: TN - Volunteer State

Re: POLL: Forum 'Welcome Email' Concept

Postby Pauls Automotive » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:32 am

I like this version a lot more. It covers the basics without being overwhelming. The thing I like is you mentioned how they may have an answer to repair questions sometimes within minutes and email notification will follow. Putting myself in the shoes of a person who is looking for help that seems like a comforting thought to know this may not be like other forums where you post and maybe next month someone may answer. Good job. :D
Paul
Pauls Automotive
6320 Falls Road
Baltimore, Md 21209
410-825-2224
paul@paulsauto.com
TRUE HAPPINESS IS WITHIN YOU
User avatar
Pauls Automotive
1000 Club: Interstellar
1000 Club: Interstellar
 
Posts: 1324
Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 6:32 am
Location: Baltimore Maryland

Re: POLL: Forum 'Welcome Email' Concept

Postby timbre4 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:15 pm

Thanks I think we're getting closer.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
User avatar
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator
 
Posts: 4514
Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 5:47 pm
Location: TN - Volunteer State

Re: POLL: Forum 'Welcome Email' Concept

Postby timbre4 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:43 pm

VERSION 3:

Hello,

You're new to the shop management user's forum and we just wanted to be sure you knew that you had access to all topics now.

The forum is very simple to use. If you need password or login assistance, just let us know and we'll get that going for you. If you have any questions, you can email us at forumadmin@buymitchell1.com.

Many popular questions have already been asked and answered; a little browsing could set you free. There's other training tools, just ask.

If you're looking to post a vehicle repair question in our WRENCH section, be ready for several replies, often within minutes. You'll get an automatic email each time someone responds to your posted question.

Thanks again for joining, we look forward to seeing you on the forum soon!

The Shop Management User's Forum
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
User avatar
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator
 
Posts: 4514
Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 5:47 pm
Location: TN - Volunteer State
Next

Return to POLLS

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest